Friday, November 13, 2009

Oil Painting 101

In the midst of my depression, I was encouraged to sign up for an oil painting class. I wasn't really enthused about it, but signed up hoping that it would atleast encourage me to get out of bed, take a shower and leave the house atleast one day a week. I am actually starting to enjoy the class and have found out that I don't stink at painting (much).

I will now unveil what I have painted so far since so many of my blog followers asked to see them (well it was really only one follower and she is my sister so she had to request it). I hope you enjoy them and are not scarred for life.

This is my very first painting. I kind of like it, but I think it needs a little improvement.



This is my second painting. It is my favorite so far. I even signed it (don't look at the signature though, it looks like a toddler did it).



My third painting. I can't decide if I like it or not. I love the way the fence and sea oats turned out, but the waves bug me. If you stand far away from it, it looks better.



This is the one I am currently working on. It is a long way from being finished. I love the old tuscan buildings. I can hear everyone saying "It's a building? Oooohhhh...now I can kind of see it!" I know it looks like this one should be condemned, but in the original picture it looks beautiful. I am trying to do the bricks right now and as you can see it is not going well. Hopefully it will be nice when I finish it.



So...which one is your favorite? I would put one of those fancy poll things on my blog, but I don't know how to do it. Remember, if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all. I guess if I don't get any comments I'll know everyone hated them. So sad :(

Well, ta ta for now! I must go and practice painting my signature for when I'm famous.

6 comments:

Tammy said...

You are Good! I don't care what you say! You have talent for it! I'm glad we get to take this class together!

Diane C said...

I believe my favorite one is the 2nd one of the pots but the flower is really good, too. Actually ALL of them are much, much better than I could ever do so thank you for sharing your talent with us and good for you for going to class and further developing your talent....
Diane C.

chelon:) said...

pots for me too :) wow shanon! you are extremely talented...i have to go now for i am coveting your artistic skills. dang you!!

Beth said...

My favorite so far is the pots also, however I believe the one your are working on now (of the Tuscan villa) may be my favorite when you finish. I think all of them are better than I could do anyway. I think I'll stick with just painting pizza sauce on pizza dough, or garlic butter on breadsticks when I'm feeling really funky.

Erin Cummings said...

I like the pots and the seascape too. I love the fence. You are so good Shanon. How fun that you are trying something new and developing a talent!

A Slice of Pratt Life said...

I love the pots, too! Shannon, you are a really good painter. Keep up the good work. And, sorry about the depression...I have been there, done that, and it is nice to get out of that place and onto happier things again.