Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Thou Shalt Not Covet

I have a confession to make. I am a blog stalker follower. I love to read blogs, even those of people I don't know. They make me laugh, cry and break one of the 10 commandments. You know, the one that says "thou shalt not covet".

I do not covet my "neighbour's house, nor my neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his a**." What I covet is their seemingly perfect life. I want to be the loving, energetic wife and mom. The mom that inspires her children to choose the right. The mom that loves to read the Book of Mormon and is so excited to share it with everyone she meets. The mom that loves to serve everyone and always thinks about taking in a meal, babysitting for others, and cleaning a house for someone in need. The perfect wife and mom that exists in the blog world. These women are amazing. They plant a garden, harvest their veggies, plant fruit trees, can everything they grow, have their year's supply of food and water, sew, craft, decorate their home, home school their kids, plan fun activities, keep the house clean, plant flowers and still have a smile on their face and love their husband and children. Who wouldn't covet that?!

I have to confess that sometimes I can be a little bitter too (which is probably breaking another commandment) because I don't do all those things. Then I am hard on myself, so I start yelling at my kids to clean their rooms, do their homework, be perfect! When that doesn't work I start yelling at Gary to clean the kitchen, cook dinner, get my list of projects done, be perfect! Then I start yelling at myself to keep a clean house, get the laundry done, be nicer, make dinner, go to the grocery store, BE PERFECT! I think I have finally figured out why that's not working for me. My kids aren't perfect, Gary's not perfect, I'm not perfect and......that's okay. I just have to do the best I can.

So excuse me while I pat myself on the back for the good that I have done. Here's the list:

1. Today I decided it was time. My hair was greasy, I hadn't showered in days, and had worn my pajamas until I had to get dressed to meet the bus...in the afternoon...at 3:00 PM. I had to do something with my hair soooooo I put powder in it to soak up the grease. Ha Ha just kidding. I did something even more fantastic....I TOOK A SHOWER, WASHED MY HAIR WITH SHAMPOO, SHAVED EVERYWHERE THAT NEEDED SHAVING, DRIED MY HAIR, PUT ON MAKEUP AND GOT DRESSED!!! All before 10:00 AM. Wow, I am superwoman!

2. I did not do "fend for yourself" dinner every night. Two days this week I...wait for it...prepare to be amazed....COOKED DINNER WITH REAL, UNPROCESSED FOOD! One night I made BBQ chicken, baked potatoes (baked in the OVEN), and we even had a veggie! The other night I made beef stroganoff, from my food storage and everyone liked it! Wow...I am woman hear me roar!

3. I walked around the neighborhood with my husband, we held hands, I only complained a little, and I only insulted Gary a few times. I didn't even yell at him while we were walking! We walked 4 TIMES last week! I bet you're wondering "How does she do it?!"

4. I got myself up, dressed, made up, Carson dressed and to the doctor's office. ALL BEFORE 8:30 AM ON A MONDAY MORNING! I didn't even have a meltdown in the doctor's office. Poor Carson has strep throat so I have been nursing him back to health AND I have been patient! I only got a little annoyed with him once! He was annoyed with me to. That's how we roll, people!

5. I made it to my oil painting class ON TIME! I worked hard painting bricks (those are hard suckers to paint) and I didn't get annoyed with my painting abilities! I will have to show you all of my FABULOUS paintings sometime. I know what you're thinking...SHE PAINTS TOO?! Now, now don't get jealous. Remember, "thou shalt not covet thy friends artistic abilities!"

6. I went to the SPHS football game, in semi-formal attire, to help recognize my senior in high school. Can you believe it...he made it to 12th grade without me strangling him or locking him in his room for 12 years? I'm even considering letting him DRIVE A CAR! Oh, I also didn't tackle the announcer, take his microphone, and tell everyone to BE QUIET! I let the crowd scream! Look how far I have come! Please, please, hold your applause until the end of my post!

7. I helped cheer up a friend that was having to clean up 6 year old crap. Her word not mine I always call it the proper term...poop! Now if you are wondering if the poop was 6 years old and why she bothers cleaning it now...after 6 years, and why she doesn't just throw everything away that was ruined, you might be embarrassed when you find out that the poop was actually from her 6 year old special needs girl. Don't be embarrassed, that's what I thought too! When she heard that, she BELLY LAUGHED! While she was cleaning poop that had been spread everywhere (carpet, walls, bed spread) and trying to not flip out, she belly laughed! I'm so glad I was there in her hour of need to cheer her up! I know...it's just a gift I have!

8. I am going to go show my children how awesome they are by eating the cookie dough they just made. I might even go so far as to say yum! I have to be careful though because they can get vicious when they are feeling like someone is going to steal their cookie dough! They are so cute when they are slapping my hands and yelling at me. Bless their hearts! How did I get so lucky to have such wonderful children?!

Well, I should stop now before you start to covet thy friend's awesomeness!

You may now applaud!

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

5 comments:

sweetnsourcottoncandy said...

i'd have to say mom you are an awesome mom, the best i have ever had too if i might say :D your paintings are awesome. and of course you will want everything to be perfect some people are just like that. it is only natural. i don't mind :D i love you mom you are amazing

chelon:) said...

you seriously are awesome! book please....write a book! you are a wonderful mom and wife. good thing that your kids and hubby know that :) love you! i must stop now for i already covet your writing skills!!

Beth said...

I also covet your writing skills, and I would love to see your painting of the bricks. Now I think I need to go wash my hair, shaving will have to wait for another day. I think your are awesome, too.

Tammy said...

Seriously I was still laughing today at your comment. I showed Cory and we were both Belly Laughing again. You have no idea how much that meant to me. I went from crying to Laughing in seconds. I love you Shanon and You are great! I am so glad we are friends!

Amy said...

Hi
I know you don't know me and I hope you will forgive my intruding on your blog with a comment. I blog stalk a lot too.

I saw your comments on one of c jane's latest blog posts and had to smile. I was so thankful for your honesty about coveting her, her life, her close family, her trips, her social life, her overly protective friends. I have coveted her too A LOT, but felt like a total jerk for thinking it ever. All the people who normally comment on her blog are all "I am so happy for you, I love you, you are great".
Sometimes, I am just plain not happy for her, I am just plain jealous and sick of reading about it. And then I start to wonder if I am just inherently evil.

Your blog is great - you are so honest and real, good and bad. I love that and appreciate it.

Thank you for making me smile today and for helping me to realize that I am not the lone coveting person that I thought I was.
Again, sorry for the intrusion, but I just wanted you to know.
Have a good day!
From a non-threatening fellow covet-er.
Amy