Thursday, May 20, 2010

Happy Anniversary Rico



This is my first husband. His name was Rico Suave. Tragically, he disappeared in a shaving accident soon after we were married. He was such a romantic, always bringing me flowers and cards, taking me to Broadway plays where we sat right up front, taking me out on dates. We were so happy.

I met Gary the day that Rico disappeared. They were so much alike except Gary didn't have a mustache and was much more practical. I was pregnant with Christopher at the time so it was very important to Gary that we save all of our money. No more dates, flowers or plays. He even decided that it would be a good idea to use the money his parents gave us as a wedding present (to go to Hawaii) to remodel our kitchen.

Sometimes, I think Rico has come back. Like one day Gary called just to see how I was doing. I was thinking "how sweet of him" when I heard the toilet flush. "Are you in the bathroom?!" Then he swept me off my feet when he said he thought he'd call while he was taking a potty break. "You know me...I just thought I'd kill 2 birds with one stone." No more romantic words have ever been spoken!

This past Monday we celebrated our 19th wedding anniversary. I have a vase full of beautiful yellow flowers sitting on my table and a nice card sitting by my bedside. The best present Gary gave me though, was when he said that I could sleep in while he got the kids ready for school. I have never received a nicer present. He even surprised me by letting me sleep in every day this week. I am so spoiled!!

Happy Anniversary Rico. I hardly missed you at all this year.

4 comments:

Erin Cummings said...

Is that really Brother Warburton??!!! Wow! Our anniversary was this week to, yesterday actually. I love the photo Shanon and your stories that go with them, you write so well, I love it!

chelon:) said...

seriously?!?!? that was hilarious...the whole killing two birds part. i totally laughed out loud! i love you shanon...thanks for brightening my day :) xoxo btw- you make a beautiful couple...rico and all :)

Tammy said...

You are sooooo funny! Please keep blogging. Its where I get my entertainment. Love ya!

Stephanie T said...

You look exactly the same, and so beautiful! I had to double back though and make sure that Rico really was Gary (you never know:-)
Congratulations on 19 years of marriage!