Tuesday, September 24, 2013

There's More Than One Way To Skin A Cat

Dear Gary,

Today we had a discussion about healthy food.  You know I am the expert on that subject!!  Emily wanted to know if I had any ideas for a healthy snack so I suggested she cut up some celery and carrots or maybe a banana.  She didn't like the banana idea because fruit gets too mushy by snack time.

She went into the kitchen for a few minutes and came back with bite size pieces of celery.  I always think of preparing celery by cutting a stalk into thirds and then cutting those into skinnier pieces so the bag of bite size pieces surprised me and I started laughing (I might possibly be sleep deprived).  She had a perfectly logical explanation for the way she cut up the celery and I thought she just might be a genius!!  You know how when you bite into a celery stick it gets all stringy?  Well bite size pieces solve that age old dilemma!  See!! Genius!!

I asked her about the carrots but she said that she didn't do them because you have to skin the carrot, and then cut the carrot and phew, just way too much effort!!  I had never heard anyone say that they needed to skin a carrot and that got me laughing again (see....sleep deprived!!)  She asked me what I would call it and I said that I always peel a carrot.

So...as we drove to school we were having a very deep discussion on whether you peeled a carrot or skinned a carrot.  Jared had to add his two cents in and agreed with me although rather than be nice about it, he said something like "Well...that's just weird!!  You don't skin a carrot!"

I agreed and said that you skin a cat not a carrot!!

Then, Jared said "No....you skin a potato and peel a carrot!!"

I had never heard of anyone skinning a potato either but he had a perfectly logical to him reason why you would skin a potato...."those potato skins (NOT PEELS) piled up high.  You wouldn't call them a pile of potato peels, would you?!"  Well, actually that is what I call them and again he said "well, that's just weird and WHO WOULD SKIN A CAT?!!!"  "WHY WOULD YOU SKIN A CAT?!"

Well, where I come from you peel a carrot, you peel a potato, and you skin a cat!!  Then I got the giggles about the way Jared had reacted to skinning a cat and couldn't quit laughing.

Then a fire truck drove by and Jared asked me if I had heard that the fire truck engine harmonized with the song playing on the radio.  So I started humming like a fire truck would hum and he said that fire trucks do not hum.  So I sang like a fire truck would sing but apparently fire trucks don't sing either.  So, then I made a vrooming noise like a fire engine in perfect harmony with the song and he said "that's almost it just less throaty!!"  Well, that just cracked me up even more!

So, as they got out of the car they kept giving me weird looks and were very concerned with the state of my mind because they both said "Mom....We think you should go home and take a nap!!"

Well, you don't have to tell me twice!!

In other news, Carson found his cleavage shirt before I had the chance to accidentally lose it.  He really likes it and was very upset that I would not let him wear it to school.  He's pretty sure that if you were here we wouldn't be having these discussions.

The cleavage shirt

I hope you aren't struggling too much in that quiet hotel room.

Love,

Shanon

No comments: