Saturday, March 14, 2015

How I Became the Favorite Parent

In Carson's eyes, no one is more wonderful than his Dad.  If he gets hurt, he asks for Daddy.  If someone makes him mad, he wants Daddy.  If he wakes up in the middle of the night (which he does most nights), he always goes to Dad (I don't mind that part).  Daddy is his favorite.  Never mind that I am the one that prayed him here, carried him in my belly for 9 months, threw up for months, lost my girlish figure, fed him, took care of him, drove him to his therapy appointments all while the favorite parent worked for hours on end and was hardly ever home.  When his Dad walks in the door, all smiles and cuddles go to Dad.

Don't worry....I'm not bitter...much.

Today, though, I am the favorite because Gary committed the abominable sin of making Carson a peanut butter and jelly sandwich using OAT AND NUT BREAD AND NON-SMUCKERS STRAWBERRY JAM!!  Duh...duh...duh...

Carson took one look at that foreign sandwich and stomped his foot, yelled his displeasure and then refused to eat it.  HE WANTED PIZZA!!!

Gary...who usually gives in to his demands, was uncommonly stubborn today and refused to get any other food for him which made Carson really, really, really MAD!!

He showed Gary, though, because he immediately went upstairs and packed all of his clothes into a few overnight bags, put on his favorite scout troop shirt and tennis shoes and told us that he was going to go to college and NO....I COULD NOT TAKE HIS PICTURE!!!




I am obviously very obedient.

After I took his picture and he put his shoes on, I gave him a hug and told him how much I was going to miss him.  Then I took the opportunity that presented itself to me and said "Would you like a bowl of chocolate pudding before you go?"

See what I did there?

All of a sudden, the shift happened and Carson was all "I love you, Mom!!" while glaring at mean ole' Dad.

So now, when you ask Carson "Who is your favorite, Mom or Dad?!"  He points to me, glares at Dad and then blows me a kiss.

All it took was a little bowl of chocolate pudding and BOOM!!

I am the favorite!!

For a little while anyway.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I would like a bowl of chocolate pudding too.