Friday, July 24, 2009

Pioneer Children Didn't Sing THAT Song

Emily has been asking me every single minute of the day for a few weeks for a nightgown like the one I made for Kinsey for her Pioneer Trek. I have been dreading so excited to make her one so the other day I finally did. She has been wearing the thing day and night (with the Laura Ingalls bonnet) for a few days now and can't wait for the Pioneer Day celebration at our church.


I have been trying to enjoy the summer with my children. It is very difficult though when they don't listen to me. For example, I ordered a cheap Book of Mormon for everyone so they would have them for scripture reading. Laura Ingalls aka Emily quickly claimed one and started reading it. Laura Ingalls was starting to get on my nerves because she had been asked several times to go change and then do her kitchen chore. I told Laura Ingalls in my best mad mom voice that if she didn't GO CHANGE NOW AND THEN DO HER KITCHEN CHORE that Laura Ingalls would have to go away for a really long time because she was causing too much trouble. Laura Ingalls then said "but Mom, I'm reading the Book of Mormon right now. It's a REALLY GOOD BOOK!!" I then told her to put the book away and go change. I know, I know bad mom example #1,000,000,001. All she wanted to do was read the Book of Mormon, sheesh!


Later on in the day, I heard someone pounding on the floor with music playing. I quickly figured out that dance dance revolution was being played by Carson and Laura Ingalls. Laura Ingalls was singing along to the music. She learned one line of the song and sang it over and over again. I hate it when she does that because then I get the song stuck in my head. She is upstairs singing over and over in her very loud, very best impersonation of whoever sang this song "I NEED SOME HOT LOVE BABY TONIGHT!" I should have gone upstairs and turned that song off and told her in no uncertain terms that the song is very inappropriate! Instead, I laid in my bed wondering where I had gone wrong! I know, I know, bad mom example #1,000,000,002.



So, pioneer day is today. I hope you are ready to celebrate. You should dress up like Laura Ingalls (or her dad if you are a boy). We are going to go to the celebration at the church. We are going to learn about how the pioneers distracted themselves as they walked and walked. Do you think they sang "I need some hot love baby tonight"?


For those of you who are thinking "boy, she really knows her church history", I did not know it was Pioneer Day today. That is until Gary got up this morning and asked me if I would like to make him some oatmeal in honor of pioneer day today. I said no. He is part of the handcart group that got caught in the storm and he has to go hungry. I guess I should go be a nice wife and make him some oatmeal. Sigh!

3 comments:

Erin Cummings said...

Hahahaha, I loved that last comment about Gary being part of the group that got caught in the storm so he has to go hungry! Too funny! I may have to use that tonight on my husband. :)

Tammy said...

So is that the song Gary sings to you???
"I need some Hot love Baby tonight"
HAHAHAHA!!
I would have told Cory he was one of the pioneer men that died the 1st day of the trek so no food for him to... LOL

4 Little Blue Birds said...

Oh Shannon. You just have to come back home to FL. You are too funny to be so far away! Sighhhh.......Oh and you can send Laura Ingalls to my house anytime....she's pretty cute!