Sunday, June 7, 2009

Happy Happy Birthday

  • Happy, happy birthday, Daddy dear
    Happy days will come to you all year.
    If I had one wish then it would be
    A happy, happy birthday to you from me.

    This is my daddy, George Michael Welch. He was born on June 7, 1938 so today is his 71st birthday. He doesn't look a day over 50. A few things about my dad:

  • he is called by many names: I call him Daddy, my kids call him Papa, my mom calls him Mike, at work he was called Trooper Welch then Sergeant Welch and maybe Corporal in between, at church he is called Brother Welch, he is called a friend by many, some people call him stubborn, and some people call him things I can't say, but I'll just stick with Daddy since it's his birthday
  • he has this strange obsession with Adam's (you know, Adam and Eve Adam) belly button...he always asks the missionaries if Adam had a belly button, when they said yes he would ask why since he wasn't born then the poor missionaries would run screaming from the house...come to think of it, maybe it is an obsessions with torturing 19 year old missionaries
  • Sunday School teachers always love it when he raises his hand, because he usually has something thought provoking to add to the lesson.....or not
  • he loves classical music and the opera
  • he gets up early because that is the noble thing to do, but likes to take a nap every day.
  • he is very resourceful...in this picture he is using a cardboard juice box as a pillow
  • he is a gifted and talented woodcarver...he gives me a hand-carved Santa or piece of a nativity every year...it is something I will treasure forever!
  • all of his carvings and hand-made furniture have the ASL sign for "I love you"
  • he is left-handed and thinks that Jesus is left-handed
  • he loves his family
  • he was always very protective of me...I am his favorite daughter :-)

I love you, Daddy! Have a great day!

No comments: