Monday, June 22, 2009

Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's Off To Camp We Go

This is my 12 year old, Jared. He is off to camp for a week. He had to be at HEB at 5:00 this morning so we woke up at 4:30. I was excited sad to send my son off to camp. A whole week without Jared...what are we going to do? I'll tell you what we did...the happy dance! Is that wrong? We waited until he was gone!

The feeling was mutual. He was ready to go to camp. He got up right when he was told, was dressed in 5 minutes (even his shoes), ate breakfast, brushed his teeth, and was ready to go right on time! Read my Sabbath Day Bliss to see what a miracle that is.

He's been getting his things ready for about a week. I printed off the list for him and the first things he asked for were matches and a pocket knife. I told him to skip those and get the other stuff on the list. He followed me all over the house asking for matches and a knife over and over again. That child is persistant. He finally got the matches last night. Then at 10:00 (pm) he told me he needed me to do laundry...he didn't have enough clean clothes to go to camp!?! Oh, that child will be the death of me!

This is my 14 year old daughter, Kinsey. She went off to camp too. She loves camp and looks forward to it all year. She was excited this year to be able to bunk with her good friend, Brittany.

We had to do some last minute shopping for a few things, but for the most part she was ready to go. All of her clothes were clean, she didn't ask for matches or a pocket knife...only food! Lots and lots of snack food. A good mother would say 'no' but I think if you are going to be out in the good old outdoors without air conditioning, you need some good snacks to get you through the week.

I really will miss them both. It's so fun to see your children excited about going to camp. I have to admit, I even like the boy that follows me around asking me for a knife and matches. There's just something about a boy that loves dirt, fire, and knives (in a completely non-destructive way) that makes a mom smile!

1 comment:

chelon:) said...

isn't this a great week?!?!?! :)