Sunday, June 21, 2009

To All The Dads I've Loved Before

I've had fathers on the brain today. I have been thinking of all that have had an influence on me in my lifetime. There is my own dad. He taught me to be honest, to love this country, to say please and thank you, to clean up after myself, to chew with my mouth closed. He taught me to drive a car, to be responsible, to work hard, and to be nice to people. He was the first man to love me. He just buried his youngest daughter...something that no dad should ever have to do. Daddy, I love you.

There was the dad that baptized our family, Elder Fred Duersch, Sr. He had planned on going on a mission with his wife, but she passed away before they were able. At the age of 65 he went on a mission serving with 19 year old boys. He taught by example how to love and serve others and to listen to the prophet. He dug up our yard to plant a garden, he gave us money to travel to the temple, he went through the temple with us and was then able to come to my wedding. He bore his testimony of the truthfulness of the gospel. He answered every letter we wrote him and sent us money to start a missionary fund for our children. What a wonderful example to me.

There have been many bishops that have had an impact on my life, but none more than Bishop John Norris. He was my bishop when Carson was born. He heard that we had a child with Down Syndrome and rushed to the hospital to see what we needed. He told us how lucky we were and what a great gift we had been given. He gave me a blessing that I would be at peace. He would come to Enrichment meetings and walk the halls with Carson so I could enjoy the meeting. It was a very special time that I will never forget.

Gary's dad, James Warburton was another dad that influenced my life. Mostly by teaching his son how to be a good husband and father. He raised a loving and kind son. The most important thing he did was love Gary's mom.

The dad that was Carson's physical therapist. He taught Carson how to walk and step up on a curb. He bounced him on a giant ball while Carson screamed and cried. He sat on a swing with him, swinging back and forth to strengthen his muscles. He didn't do it for the money, he did it because he loved kids with special needs and wanted to help them. I was so happy the day that my son quit doing the bear crawl and stood up and walked. What a great day. Thanks, Tom.

There are so many others. I think this dad is pretty special:

This is my husband of eighteen years. Gary and I have been through alot. He has seen me cry, scream, get mad. We have laughed and had good times together. We have had five beautiful, talented and smart children. He is kind and patient. I have never heard him say a negative thing about anyone. He is a wonderful example of Christlike love and service. I love you, Gary.

this is their serious "pioneer" pose...the big kids can't help but laugh

These are the future dads (and moms) in my life. I hope that I can teach them to be like the dads that taught me. If they are anything like them, they will have blessed children.

I have also been thinking about my Heavenly Father. I'm so grateful that He knows my heart and my intentions. He know my strengths and weaknesses. He love me unconditionally. I am one blessed daughter of God and I am so grateful!

Happy Father's Day!


1 comment:

Erin Cummings said...

What a nice tribute Shanon!