Friday, June 12, 2009

The Things I Learned While In The Closet

Tornado season has arrived! A few days ago we were under a tornado warning but pretty much ignored it until the sky started to turn ugly and the wind started picking up. I love the new radar systems because they can tell you exactly when you should go into the closet during a bad storm so we decided to turn on the TV. In Florida it was always big news if there were hurricanes or tornadoes in the area, but when we turned on the one of the news channels here, it was the Magic vs the Lakers with a running commentary underneath and pictures of each county (unlabeled, I might add). We finally found a station without sports and they told us when the storm would hit Round Rock. ( I know you love your sports here in Texas, but we are having tornadoes for heaven sakes, give me the doplar radar!)

Carson and I went into the closet when they said it was near Round Rock. No one else wanted to go in because they wanted to see the storm on TV. When the TV went out they all started coming in. Not because they wanted to be safe but because I had the laptop. Carson and I were very comfortable until everyone started crowding around us. They wanted our spots. There were feet, pillows, and blankets everywhere. Then it started to get warm in there so I braved the elements and left the closet to make the air colder. When I came back in, everyone was thirsty so I once again braved the elements to get everyone a drink. By this time I had lost my comfy spot and the laptop so I had to find a new place to sit. I started moving stuff out of the closet. By this time everyone was hungry so I braved the elements once again to find some snacks. When I came back, Gary told me that the storm had passed and we could leave the closet. Oh...okay...as long as we're safe now.

So what I learned while in the closet...just stay out of the closet. Maybe even stand out in the yard and pray that the storm takes you quickly. It couldn't be as bad as being in a closet with a husband, 5 kids (and we only had 3 that night), a laptop, no food (except #10 cans with no can opener), no drinks, and lots of junk. Another thing I learned? That food in the 72 hour kits I made last year and put under my bed still tasted good....at least the dumdums. What an appropriate snack for the evening.

After the storm, I went up stairs and destroyed my couch with a hammer. I love demolition!

No comments: