Wednesday, June 10, 2009

He Duz That All The Time

Carson had an exciting day today. He was invited to a party. A birthday party for his friend Trevor. What do you do when you are invited to a party? Why, you go to Target to buy a birthday gift. Why Target? I don't know...I just love to browse through Target. It's so clean and organized and you can push a cart through the aisles. Nothing like that other place!

Carson doesn't enjoy browsing through Target as much as I do, but he tolerated it because he was excited about going to see the toys. Most people with a 6 year old would rather go to the dentist or have a baby without an epidural than go to the toy aisle. I am usually one of those people because it makes me sad. Carson has never gotten excited about the toys. He didn't seem to understand or pay attention. Today was different. He noticed the toys. He wanted to inspect every one. He was looking for the perfect gift for his friend. He said "bop" (stop) every time he saw a toy he liked. It was pure joy! I had the best time with him. He finally picked out a Spongebob Connect Four game. What does a mom who is in a good mood do? She buys two, of course! One for the birthday boy and one for Carson. I don't do it alot so you can't really call it spoiling!

We came home and wrapped the gift with robot paper and a robot card. Carson was enjoying this birthday party stuff. He was very excited to put on his suit and new water shoes and head to the party. We walked into party central and he ran right up to Trevor and gave him his gift and then decided to play the video game that Trevor was playing. Trevor handed the gift to me and said, "oh, this pwesent is fwom Cawson. He's oveh theh (points to TV). He duz that all the time!" It was so normal. A birthday boy having his friend come over for fun times and video games like it's something they do every weekend.

Carson played on the water slide...up and down, up and down. Splash, splash, splash. Normal stuff. I sat on the sidelines, talked to friends, relaxed. I enjoyed myself. I heard Carson screaming and someone said oh, don't worry...it's Carson laughing everytime they come down the slide. I helped make sno cones and passed out cupcakes. I laughed and enjoyed myself a lot.

I wish I could say "he duz that all the time" but he doesn't. Carson has Down Syndrome. He doesn't get invited to many parties. It's sad for a mom, luckily he doesn't know any different right now. He just had a fun time like he "duz it all the time." What a great day! Thanks Trevor, Jeannie, Katelynne, and Trey. You made a mom and boy smile. He had so much fun, he came home and fell asleep on the couch at 5:00. What a perfect day. A perfectly NORMAL day!

By-the-way, what would a perfectly normal mom do? She would forget her camera! If anyone has pictures of my Carson and Emily could I have a copy? Thanks!

6 comments:

Anna said...

This made me cry! You are such a great Mom and I feel honored to know you. Thanks for the new perspective.

Corbett Family said...

How have I never read your blog until today? Anyway, Carson looked like he was having so much fun. On the way home, J.D. said to me, "Carson, my friend from church, had the coolest water shoes on at the party. Can you ask his mom where he got them so I can get some too?" We should definitely have Carson over to play sometime!

Jeannie said...

Early bedtime/exhausted happy boys are the best! I have some pics...It means I actually have to download my pics but I'll do it!

I'm so glad that he had a great time! Trevor insisted that we set up the Wii that morning "fer Car-SEN in tase he wants to re-wax and doesn't wike de water", I guess Trev had a birthday party plan even if his Mom didn't?? :P

Thanks so much for your help today with everything, And thanks for loaning me Emily too! :)

Unknown said...

I was taking some pics on Chelon's camera, there might be a couple of Carson on there...
It was great talking to you during the party. Glad you had fun!(and Carson too!!)

A Slice of Pratt Life said...

I think you truly have a gift with words! I look forward to reading more of your blogs.

chelon:) said...

he is so darn cute. everytime i watched him he made me giggle. what a special sweet boy! i will email you any pics in a bit.